Alcoholic Beverage Tax

The alcoholic beverage tax is a per-gallon excise tax collected on the sale, distribution, or importation of alcoholic beverages in California. The California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA) collects the tax and administers the program in cooperation with the Board of Equalization. For information on each type of alcoholic beverage tax, please see the Resources section below.

In general, you must register with the CDTFA if you are required to obtain certain licenses issued by the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC). Please see the "Are you required to register?" link under the heading "Registration" (below) for more information on types of licenses.

Special Notices

Information About


Tax Guides

Forms & Publications


Related Web Sites

Contact Us

If you have questions regarding this program or need to register with the CDTFA, please contact us at the following address or telephone number:

Program & Compliance Bureau, MIC: 88
California Department of Tax and Fee Administration
PO Box 942879
Sacramento, CA 94279-0088

Telephone 800-400-7115
(TTY: 711)

Email Your Tax Questions