Covered Electronic Waste Recycling Fee
The Covered Electronic Waste Recycling Fee ("eWaste" fee) is assessed on the retail purchase or lease of "covered electronic devices" or CEDs, which are video display products that the Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) has determined to be hazardous when discarded. These products include computer monitors, laptop computers, portable DVD players with LCD screens, "bare" cathode ray tubes (CRTs) and devices containing CRTs, televisions with LCD screens, plasma screens, or CRTs. The fee is variable, depending on screen size. A retailer is allowed to retain 3 percent of the eWaste fee collected as reimbursement for all costs associated with the collection of the fee. The CDTFA collects the fee, which provides funding for the collection and recycling of these video products, in cooperation with the Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle), formerly the California Integrated Waste Management Board, and the Department of Toxic Substances Control. (commenced 1-1-05; PRC section 42464; H&SC section 25214.9 et seq.)
The three different eWaste fee rates are based on the following screen size categories:
- More than 4 inches, but less than 15 inches
- Greater than or equal to 15 inches, but less than 35 inches
- Greater than or equal to 35 inches.
The California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA) is required to collect the eWaste fee pursuant to the Fee Collection Procedures Law (commencing with Section 55001 of the Revenue and Taxation Code).
The DTSC is responsible for identifying which video display devices are covered electronic devices. For additional information regarding covered electronic devices, please refer to the "Forms, Publications & Resources" tab (above), and choose the DTSC Emergency Regulations, Appendix X link.
- File Your Electronic Waste (eWaste) Recycling Fee Return Online
- Important Notice – Reminder to File Your Return Online
- Online Filing For California Tire Fee and Covered Electronic Waste Recycling Fee Accounts
- Sign up for email notifications
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Manufacturers Notification Letter
- What's New in eWaste
- Information for Consumers that Were Charged a Fee on a Device that is Not a CED
- Electronic Waste Recycling Fee Law
- DTSC Emergency Regulations
- DTSC Emergency Regulations, Appendix X
If you have questions regarding this program or need to register with the CDTFA, please contact Special Taxes and Fees at the following address or telephone number:
Special Taxes and Fees, MIC: 88
California Department of Tax and Fee Administration
PO Box 942879
Sacramento, CA 94279-0088