Use Fuel Tax
On August 12, 2019, your permit, license and/or account will move into the new CDTFA online services system. For more information on our online service enhancements, see Special Notice L-598. This change may require customers or agents to create a Username and Password for the new system on and after August 12, 2019.
If you already have a Username and Password to log in and file your return for a Sales and Use Tax, eWaste, and/or Tire Fee account, no additional action is required as you will be able to view all your accounts in the new system on and after August 12, 2019. If you currently use the online services system to file your returns for any of the accounts above and have not yet created your Username or Password, please go to our Login webpage and click on Sign Up Now to start the enrollment process. For video instructions, visit our tutorials page on our website.
Due to our system upgrade, the last day to file a return online or warehouse a payment is August 6, 2019. Please note: Cigarette distributor or manufacturer returns must be submitted no later than 6:00 a.m. (Pacific time) on Tuesday, August 6, 2019, in order to be processed. You will not be able to file a return online or warehouse a payment in the existing system after August 6, 2019. Functionality for these services will be available in our new system beginning August 12, 2019, at 12:00 p.m. (Pacific time).
The use fuel tax is imposed on the use of certain fuels on the highways of the state, rather than the sale or distribution. Generally, all fuels that are used to propel a motor vehicle and are not defined as either motor vehicle fuel (primarily gasoline) or diesel fuel will be taxed under the Use Fuel Tax Law.
- Your User Use Fuel Tax Return and Decal Renewal Will Move to the New Online Services System Effective August 12, 2019
- Your Use Fuel Decal Renewal (Private Vehicle) Will Move to the New Online Services System Effective August 12, 2019
- Your Exempt Bus Operator Use Fuel Tax Return and Decal Renewal Will Move to the New Online Services System Effective August 12, 2019
- Revisions to the Vendor Use Fuel Tax Return and Launch of New Online Filing Effective August 12, 2019
- Exempt Bus Operator Use Fuel Tax Return, CDTFA-501-AB
- User Use Fuel Tax Return, CDTFA-501-AU
- Vendor Use Fuel Tax Return, CDTFA-501-AV
- Online Return Filing Information
- Do you Need a California Fuel Permit or License?, Publication 84
- California Use Fuel Tax-A Guide for Vendors and Users, Publication 12
If you have questions regarding this program or need to register with the CDTFA, please contact the Motor Carrier Office at the following address or telephone number:
Motor Carrier Office, MIC: 65
California Department of Tax and Fee Administration
PO Box 942879
Sacramento, CA 94279-0065