Hazardous Substances Taxes Disposal Fee Registration Information

Who is required to register?

Disposal facility registration information is sent to the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA) from the Department of Toxic Substances Control(DTSC).

Persons who dispose of hazardous waste to land at an authorized hazardous waste disposal facility in California will pay a disposal fee directly to the disposal facility, and the disposal facility then submits the fee and a return to the CDTFA. The fee varies and is determined by the waste category and the total tonnage of waste. Only the disposal facilities/operators are required to file returns with the CDTFA. (commenced 7-1-85, H&SC section 25174.1 et seq.)

There is no online registration with CDTFA.