Laws, Regulations and Annotations
Business Taxes Law Guide – Revision 2022
Fee Collection Procedures Law
Public Resources Code
Division 2. Other Taxes
Part 30. Fee Collection Procedures Law
Chapter 3. Determinations
Article 1. Returns and Payments
55045. Relief of fee, penalty, or interest due to reliance on advice from the Board. (a) If the board finds that a person's failure to make a timely report or payment is due to the person's reasonable reliance on written advice from the board, the person may be relieved of the fees imposed or administered under this part and any penalty or interest added thereto.
(b) For purposes of this section, a person's failure to make a timely report or payment shall be considered to be due to reasonable reliance on written advice from the board, only if the board finds that all of the following conditions are satisfied:
(1) The person requested in writing that the board advise him or her whether a particular activity or transaction is subject to the fee under this part. The specific facts and circumstances of the activity or transaction shall be fully described in the request.
(2) The board responded in writing to the person regarding the written request for advice, stating whether or not the described activity or transaction is subject to the fee, or stating the conditions under which the activity or transaction is subject to the fee.
(3) The liability for fees applied to a particular activity or transaction which occurred before either of the following:
(A) Before the board rescinded or modified the advice so given, by sending written notice to the person of the rescinded or modified advice.
(B) Before a change in statutory or constitutional law, a change in the board's regulations, or a final decision of a court, which renders the board's earlier written advice no longer valid.
(c) Any person seeking relief under this section shall file with the board all of the following:
(1) A copy of the person's written request to the board and a copy of the board's written advice.
(2) A statement under penalty of perjury setting forth the facts on which the claim for relief is based.
(3) Any other information which the board may require.
(d) Only the person making the written request shall be entitled to rely on the board's written advice to that person.