Laws, Regulations and Annotations
Business Taxes Law Guide – Revision 2023
Cannabis Tax Law
Revenue and Taxation Code
Division 2. Other Taxes
Part 14.5. Cannabis Tax
34020.1. Report. (a) On or before March 1, 2025, the Department of Cannabis Control, in consultation with the Department of Finance and the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration, shall submit a report to the Legislature on the condition and health of the cannabis industry in the state. The report shall include, but is not limited to, the following information:
(1) How many local jurisdictions have permitted commercial cannabis activity.
(2) How many local jurisdictions have not permitted commercial cannabis activity.
(3) Information or analysis concerning the potential expansion or contraction of the cannabis market in the state, which may include information concerning any increase in retail cannabis sales and activity in the illicit market.
(4) How many equity licensees have been approved by the Department of Cannabis Control.
(5) In what counties the state equity licensees located.
(6) The health of the Cannabis Tax Fund, and any future projections of Cannabis Tax Fund revenues.
(7) Information on the viability of cannabis businesses in the state, and the ability to continue to operate cannabis businesses in the state, from a general and equity licensee standpoint.
(8) The impacts of the suspension of the cultivation tax imposed by paragraph (2) of subdivision (a) of Section 34012, including whether that suspension resulted in a decrease in retail cannabis prices or increased participation in the legal cannabis market.
(b) The report may include recommendations to strengthen the state’s legal cannabis market.
(c) The Department of Cannabis Control may contract with a public university or universities in California to prepare the report. Subject to approval by the Department of Cannabis Control, the university or universities may contract with other organizations in connection with the report.
(d) The Department of Cannabis Control may consolidate this report with any other reports required under Division 10 (commencing with Section 26000) of the Business and Professions Code.
History—Added by Stats. 2022, Ch. 56 (AB 195), in effect June 30, 2022.