Laws, Regulations and Annotations
Business Taxes Law Guide – Revision 2023
California Healthy Outcomes and Prevention Education Act
Revenue and Taxation Code
Division 2. Other Taxes
Part 13.6. California Healthy Outcomes and Prevention Education Act
31005. Disposition of fund. (a) All revenues, interest, and penalties derived from the California Electronic Cigarette Excise Tax shall be deposited into the California Electronic Cigarette Excise Tax Fund, which is hereby created in the State Treasury, less payments for refunds and reimbursement to the department for expenses incurred in the administration and collection of the tax.
(b) Notwithstanding Section 13340 of the Government Code and subject to subdivision (d), all amounts in the California Electronic Cigarette Excise Tax Fund are continuously appropriated without regard to fiscal year as follows:
(1) Eighteen percent of the moneys to the Health Education Account, established in paragraph (1) of subdivision (b) of Section 30122, for tobacco control programs described in Article 1 (commencing with Section 104350) of Chapter 1 of Part 3 of Division 103 of the Health and Safety Code.
(2) Twelve percent of the moneys into the California Children and Families Trust Fund created by Section 30131.
(3) (A) Forty-eight percent of the moneys to fund the Medi-Cal Physicians and Dentists Loan Repayment Program (Section 14114 of the Welfare and Institutions Code).
(B) Of the moneys described by subparagraph (A), 70 percent shall be allocated to the physician payment pool and 30 percent to the dentist payment pool.
(4) Five percent of the moneys to the Department of Health Care Access and Information to fund the Health Professions Career Opportunity Program described by Section 127885 of the Health and Safety Code.
(5) Seven percent of the moneys to the University of California to support the joint program in medical education between the University of California San Francisco (UCSF) School of Medicine, UCSF Fresno, and the University of California, Merced, including, but not limited to, using funds to establish new residency and clinical rotation positions for program participants and graduates in the San Joaquin Valley.
(6) Ten percent of the moneys to the Small and Rural Hospital Relief Fund established in Section 130077 of the Health and Safety Code.
(c) (1) The department shall transmit the funds, pursuant to subdivision (b), periodically as promptly as feasible but shall transmit funds at least once in each calendar quarter.
(2) The department shall furnish a quarterly statement indicating the amounts paid and withheld for expenses of the department.
(d) (1) The amount of three million dollars ($3,000,000) shall be loaned from the General Fund to the department during the 2021–22 fiscal year and deposited into the California Electronic Cigarette Excise Tax Fund for the purpose of implementing the tax imposed by this part and shall be repaid on or before June 30, 2023, from the taxes collected pursuant to this part.
(2) The loan made pursuant to this subdivision shall be repaid to the General Fund before any appropriations of funds pursuant to subdivisions (b) and (c) are made.
History—Added by Stats. 2021, Ch. 489 (SB 395), in effect January 1, 2022. Stats. 2022, Ch. 46 (AB 186), in effect June 30, 2022, deleted "Proposition 56" after "to fund the" and substituted "Program" for "Act" after "Dentists Loan Repayment" in paragraph (3) of subdivision (b).