Working with the CDTFA for New Permit and License Holders
中国人 한국인 Español Tiếng Việt

Need Tax Assistance?

Our website offers many resources to help you understand California Department of Tax and Fee Administration's (CDTFA) tax and fee programs.

We have a number of helpful industry guides, online seminars, and frequently asked questions. If you are unable to locate the information you need or require immediate assistance, you may call our Customer Service Center Monday through Friday (except state holidays) from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Time).

You can email us with any general or non-confidential tax or fee questions.

Local CDTFA Office Locations

We offer many online services, but also have local offices located throughout California and across the nation. You can make an appointment over the phone to meet with a representative at the office of your choice.

Below are some of the services available:

  • Receive tax advice/educational consultation
  • Make updates to your permits, licenses, and accounts
  • Assist you with completing a return
  • Request a certificate of tax clearance for the purchase of a business
  • Request a use tax clearance for nontaxable vehicle and vessels transfers
  • Obtain an escrow clearance

We also have a number of computer kiosks located in our offices that enable you to file and make payments. Feel free to visit the local offices nearest you.

Know Your Rights

As a California taxpayer, you have a right to be treated courteously and professionally by our employees.

We are committed to upholding all your taxpayer rights. When you are unable to resolve a matter through normal channels, you may contact The Taxpayers' Rights Advocate Office (TRA). TRA can explain your rights and help facilitate resolutions between you and the CDTFA.

To learn more, please see publication 70, Understanding Your Rights as a California Taxpayer.

Educational Consultations

Now that you have your new business up and running, you are now faced with the challenge of interpreting and complying with the complex and changing Sales and Use Tax laws.

As part of our commitment to helping you understand your sales and use tax obligations, we have established The Taxpayer Educational Consultation Program. This free program provides eligible businesses with education and assistance, and helps them prepare for their sales and use tax reporting requirements.

Get it in Writing

If you have specific sales and use tax questions regarding your business, we recommend that you get answers from us in writing. This will enable us to give you the best advice and will protect you from penalties and interest in case we give you erroneous information.

For details, please see publication 8, Get It In Writing!

Keeping your Business Information Current

To ensure we can provide you with the most helpful information about your account, please inform us of any changes made to your business.

Some significant changes include, but are not limited to, adding and closing sub-locations, updating mailing address and changing account ownership. You can contact our Customer Service Center at 1-800-400-7115 (TTY:711) or the nearest local office to make changes to your account information.

You can also submit changes on form CDTFA-345-WEB, Notice of Business Change and mail it to the provided address.

Information in Other Languages

We offer many forms and publications in multiple languages. Go to the links below and look for a reference to a language in the Title column.

If you require interpreter assistance, please call us to schedule an appointment. We will make every attempt to provide access to a CDTFA employee who speaks your language.

Other Non-CDTFA Licenses

Now that you have registered with CDTFA, we suggest you visit the Governor's Office of Business and Economic Development to help you determine if other state, federal, and local agencies have any licensing or registration requirements that may affect you.

The Governor's Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz) offers extensive information on state, local, and federal permit requirements:

  • CalGold — Provides information about other federal, state, or local government permits that may be required for your business.
  • California Office of Small Business Advocate — Provides personalized business assistance including quick start guides for starting and growing your business and the California Business Navigator that provides custom information for your business including permits, licenses, and incentives.

In an effort to ease the process for a taxpayer who is interested in starting a business in California, CDTFA partnered with the Employment Development Department, the Franchise Tax Board and Internal Revenue Service to establish the California Tax Service Center. The website acts as a one-stop source for the latest tax information.

In addition, we offer links to other state and federal agencies, see OtherTax Resources located at the bottom right of our webpage.